Präzisionskugeln Eltmann GmbH
The industrial manufacturing of ball bearings began in 1883 with Friedrich Karl Fischer, son of the inventor of the pedal bicycle, Philipp Moritz Fischer. For the first time in history, the younger Fischer built a machine (a ball grinder) for the mass production of tempered steel balls in large quantities and with great precision, using "centerless" technology.
This accomplishment laid the foundations not only for the company Kugelfischer Georg Schäfer & Co., but also for the ball and ball bearing industries. The industrial development of the city of Schweinfurt led to an unprecedented period of expansion which was suddenly interrupted when World War II broke out.
Transfer to Eltmann
During the post-WWII period, production was moved to other areas in the vicinity, and its first branch, “Kugelfischer Georg Schäfer (FAG)”, was built in Eltmann. Steel balls in various sizes and for various fields of application were mass produced there up until the year 2000, after which FAG’s ball production was transferred to a joint venture with SKF and the American company “NN Ball & Roller”.
Acquisition by UMBRAGROUP
In April, 2011 the company was purchased by UMBRAGROUP S.p.A. and renamed "Präzisionskugeln Eltmann GmbH". Today the company specializes in the production of high-quality steel balls in the Ø 18 - 200 mm range, and takes part in prominent partnerships in such fields as:
- the construction of machines for the engineering sector
- the wind power sector
- the electricity industry
- the aerospace industry